Mark Midensky - Intermediate Class - Month One

Mark's Intermediate Class - Session 3 Welcome to our class blog-site for Session 3. This is important information that you should not share with people outside this class. We will be using this blog site to post and correct journals. There will be three journals, three presentations based on the journal worth a total of 225 marks and these marks will be used to calculated your mark for class participation. Your journals will be corrected online by your instructor. Mark.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Indirect Requests

Direct vs. indirect


Indirect strategies


I would like to ask you to close the window:

Showing that a speaker is requesting or expressing willingness
I would appreciate it if you could close the window.:


Showing speaker’s desire
Can you / could you close the window?
Will you / would you close the window?
Would you mind closing the window?


Asking about a hearer’s ability

Direct strategies are usually marked explicitly as requests and more speaker oriented, where as indirect strategies usually refer to other conditions, such as ability or willingness of the hearer, and hence more hearer oriented.

Other examples of Direct Strategies


Hedged performatives
I would like to ask you to clean the kitchen.
I would like you to give your lecture a week earlier.

Obligation statements
You will have to clean up the kitchen.
Ma’am, you will have to move your car.

Want statements
I really wish you'd clean up the kitchen.
I really wish you’d stop bothering me.

Other examples of indirect strategies

Asking for willingness

Could you clean up the kitchen, please?
Would you mind moving your car, please?

Modification of requests


Could you do me a favor?

Ask the potential availability of the hearer or ask for the hearer’s permission to make the request.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind dropping me home?


Softening the request by using negation (mitigators)

Couldn't you tidy up a bit before I start?

The speaker minimizes the required action or object.

Can I use your pen for a moment, please?
The speaker uses politeness device.

Could you perhaps lend me your notes for a few days?


The speaker minimizes the impact of the request by signaling that the speaker is aware of the possibility of the hearer's refusal to the request

As it is very clear from the above, even when one uses modals to soften request, it is often necessary to use other mitigators to further minimize the face-threatening act.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home