Mark Midensky - Intermediate Class - Month One

Mark's Intermediate Class - Session 3 Welcome to our class blog-site for Session 3. This is important information that you should not share with people outside this class. We will be using this blog site to post and correct journals. There will be three journals, three presentations based on the journal worth a total of 225 marks and these marks will be used to calculated your mark for class participation. Your journals will be corrected online by your instructor. Mark.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Prac-Test

Unit 3


A. Write requests using the information given [16 marks]


  1. You want your friend to lend you her laptop for the weekend.


Could I _____________________________________________________ ?


  1. Your classmate has a cell phone. You want to use it to make a quick call?



Can I ___________________________________________________________ ?


  1. You want to borrow a stranger's newspaper when he's finished reading it?


I was wondering if you'd mind ________________________________________ ?


  1. You are good friends with your teacher. You would like a copy of today's handouts?


I was wondering if I could have ___________________________________________ ?



B. Correct the mistakes! [12 marks]


Example: Misaaki made (owed) her teacher an apology.


  1. My neighbor is kind of shy, but he made me for a favor anyway.


  1. Mr. Ferreira was happy to deny a gift from his Portuguese class at the end of the year.


  1. Kato did me a nice compliment. – he said I was kind and generous.



C. Indirect Requests [20 marks]


  1. Mary, Lisa is having a party


  1. Mary, call Kelley at 5 pm.


  1. Mary, don't forget your blue grammar book.


  1. Mark, is Mustu going to Cherry Beach?


  1. Eriko, David is having a party.


Now change these indirect requests to direct requests [12 marks]


  1. Could you tell Anne to return the books?


  1. Could you ask Jeff when the party starts?


  1. Could you ask Megan if she likes cats?

D. Vocabulary – Collocation – Match the descriptive meanings! [32 marks]

1. an accusation

2. an apology

3. a favor

4. an offer

5. a reason

6. Receive

7. Accept

8. Refuse

E. READ THE MAGAZINE ARTICLE ABOUT MAKING REQUESTS. (20 marks)

There are many different ways of making requests. For example, if someone wants to borrow a dollar, he or she can say: "Could you lend me a dollar?", " Do you have a dollar?", "You don't have a dollar, do you?".

How does a person know which request to use? Language researchers have suggested that speakers must make several important decisions. First, they must consider the other person's feelings because requests can sometimes cause embarrassment to both the speaker and the listener. If the speaker thinks the listener will accept the request, he or she will probably use the less formal request. If the speaker thinks the listener may decline the request, he or she will probably use a fairly formal request. It he or she refuses, then both the speaker and the listener might be embarrassed.

In addition, speakers must decide how well they know the person they are requesting something from and choose a suitable question. If the speaker knows the listener well, one several types of requests can be used.

Answer these questions:

1. You know the person, so you say:

a. Could you lend me a dollar?

b. I need a dollar.

c. I wish I had a dollar.


2. You do not know the person, so you say:

a. I wonder if I could lend me a dollar?

b. Do you have a dollar?

c. I was wondering if you could lend me a dollar?


3. You know the person, but just from class and you do not go out together in Toronto.

a. Give me a dollar for coffee, would you?

b. Can I borrow a buck?

c. I would like to ask you if I could borrow a dollar until tomorrow.

THE QUIZ KEY
A

  1. Could you lend me your laptop for the weekend?
  2. Can I make a quick call on your phone?
  3. I was wondering if you'd mind me reading that paper when your done?
  4. I was wondering if I can get a copy of today's handouts?

B

  1. My neighbor is kind of shy, but she did me a favor anyway.
  2. Mr. Ferreira was happy to accept a gift from his ….
  3. Kato gave me a nice complement.

C

Could you tell Mary that Lisa is having a party?

  1. Could you ask Mary to call Kelly at 5pm?
  2. Could you tell Mary not to forget her blue grammar book?
  3. Could you ask Mark if Mustu is going to Cherry Beach?
  4. Could you tell Eriko that David is having a party?


D

Anne, remember to return the books.

  1. Jeff, when does the party start?
  2. Does Megan like cats?

E

E

  1. F
  2. B
  3. C
  4. D
  5. A
  6. G
  7. H


F

1. A

2. C

3. A


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home